You can make edits directly to the Sifted document in the LegalSifter application or after exporting it to Microsoft Word. The editing features supporting by the LegalSifter application are discussed below.
Adding new text: Hover your cursor over the area you want to modify. Click and type in your edit. You will see your edit as red text (text from previous edits will show up in another color) with an accompanying comment noting the edit like this:
Deleting text: Highlight the sentence or portion you are modifying and press the Delete or Backspace key to delete it. The deleted text will now be strikethrough and in red and a comment will appear that notes that content was removed.
📝If your name on your Word account is the same as your LegalSifter account, any tracked changes from before the document is uploaded will also be in red. Changes by other authors on the document before the upload will be in shown in other colors (not red).
- Internet Explorer and older versions of Edge are not supported for editing. We have implemented a View-Only mode for these browsers but we encourage using Chrome as your browser for editing.
Shortcuts and Toolbar:
Undoing and Redoing edits:
- From the Document Editor Formatting Toolbar, use the left Undo button for undoing edits and the right Redo button for redoing edits.
- For keyboard shortcuts, you may use Ctrl-Z for undoing edits and Ctrl-Y for redoing edits
Bolding, Italicizing and Underlining text:
- From the Document Editor Formatting Toolbar, use the B for bolding, I for italicizing, and U for underlining text. You may choose one of five different underline styles.
- For keyboard shortcuts, you may use Ctrl-B for bolding, Ctrl-I for italicizing, and Ctrl-U for underlining.
Justifying and Aligning text:
- From the Document Editor Formatting Toolbar, use Left, Center, Right and Justification buttons to re-align text in your preferred format.
- From the Document Editor Formatting Toolbar, use the dropdown labeled Format, click on Font on the dropdown menu, then use the Superscript or Subscript options.
Copying and Pasting text:
- For keyboard shortcuts, you may use Ctrl-C for copying and Ctrl-V for pasting.
- From your Document Editor Formatting Toolbar menu, you may select the Copy or Paste options.
Zooming In and Out:
- From the Document Editor Formatting Toolbar, use the dropdown labeled View to Zoom In and Zoom Out for the document.
- Highlight the text you would like to comment on with your cursor, then from the Document Editor Formatting Toolbar click on the Add Comment button on the far right. Once you have typed your comment, click the green "Comment" button to publish your comment.
- You can also add a comment on highlighted text by using the dropdown labeled Review, then clicking Add Comment.
- In order to resolve a comment, first click on the downward arrow in the top right corner of the comment labeled Expand, then click the check mark to Resolve and remove the comment.
- To accept a comment, click on the down arrow in the top right corner of the comment labeled Expand, then click the check mark to Accept the change or the X to Reject the change.
- The ability to accept or reject redlines is applicable whether the redline was made in the product or prior to sifting.
Key features of our Document Viewer:
- When a redlined document is uploaded, you will be able to see those redlines in the Sifted Document (previously the redlines were shown automatically accepted when uploaded).
- When you export the Sifted document to Word, the redlines you made in the LegalSifter software will have your name as the author. If you want to change how your name appears in the export, your Organization's Client Admin will be able to update it for you.
- Sifted documents can be edited for 30 days. After 30 days the document will be in a Read-Only view.